Los Angeles, CA-based CRL-U.S. Aluminum provided a myriad of products integral to the successful redevelopment of the new Tom Bradley International Terminal (TBIT), the centerpiece of Los Angeles World Airports’ (LAWA) multi-billion dollar LAX development.
Given its scope, the project was by no means a typical renovation. The owner, architects, city officials, and builders were faced with a multitude of challenges. Substantial upgrades served to significantly improve service and aesthetics while enhancing passenger safety and security. The terminal enhancements were designed to not only improve the passenger experience, but to withstand the traffic of nine million travelers every year. The massive scope of this dramatic modernization required the combined construction capacity of Walsh Group and Austin Commercial, with a broad host of subcontractors.
Working in close collaboration with all project stakeholders, CRL-U.S. Aluminum designed, engineered, fabricated and delivered the expansive 2,500 ft elevated secure corridor. The monumental glass structure features 13/16” ultra clear laminated tempered glass mounted in embedded CRL L21 Series Base Shoe Channel and secured with the patented CRL TAPER-LOC® Dry Glaze Taper System and architecturally exposed structural steel support framing. The top of the corridor is left open, encapsulated with 175,000 total feet of stainless steel tension cables to provide added security and maximum natural light. Continuous runs of CRL Stainless Steel Linear Grilles spanning the length of the entire structure offer improved ventilation.
The elevated glass corridor provides passengers with unobstructed views and safe passage, seamlessly integrating form and function. CRL-U.S. Aluminum architectural systems can be found throughout the project. All balcony edges and stairwells are now lined with CRL GRS TAPER-LOC® Dry Glaze Glass Railing System, the first and only ICC-ES-approved glass railing system (ESR-3269). Stairwells to provide adequate egress during evacuations are equipped with CRL Smoke Baffles. CRL also fabricated the linen finish stainless steel cladding surrounding the elevators and cased openings.
The Project Team
• Architect: Fentress Architects (Los Angeles, CA) in association with HNTB (Los Angeles, CA)
• General Contractor: Walsh Austin Joint Venture (Los Angeles, CA)
• Subcontractor: Environmental Interiors, Inc. (Nashua, NH)
• Subcontractor: ISEC (Englewood, CO)
• Architectural Hardware Systems: CRL-U.S. Aluminum
CRL Architectural Systems utilized for the project
• CRL Custom-engineered AESS Elevated Secure Corridor
• CRL Stainless Steel Tension Cable System
• CRL Stainless Steel Linear Wall Grilles
• CRL Stainless Steel Linear Floor Grilles
• CRL Standard Wet Seal Wall Panel Cladding in Embossed Linen Finish Stainless Steel
• CRL GRS TAPER-LOC® Glass Railing System with Handrail and Cap Rail
• CRL Smoke Baffle System