2015 CFSEI Expo’s Technical Sessions Announced
CFSEI Expo To Be Held May 18-19 At Rosen Centre Hotel In Orlando, FL
Washington, DC - The Cold-Formed Steel Engineers Institute (CFSEI) has posted its program for the 2015 CFSEI Expo, which is being held May 18-19 at the Rosen Centre Hotel in Orlando, Florida. The program includes 15 technical sessions with continuing education credits available.
The CFSEI Expo is designed for architects, builders/contractors, and engineers, with an educational program geared toward both skilled cold-formed steel framing professionals as well as newcomers. The conference is billed as the only one of its kind dedicated to the cold-formed steel framing industry.
The technical sessions include:
Monday, May 18, 2015
• “Roles and Responsibilities for Success in Cold-Formed Steel Design and Construction” Presenter: Jeff Klaiman, P.E., Adtek Engineering, Inc. This session provides a sampling of what users will find in the upcoming edition of Code of Standard Practice for Cold-Formed Steel (CFS) Framing, with new sections on wall panel design, assembly and installation, and coordinating steel deck with CFS framing.
• “Evaluation and Remediation of Cold-Formed Steel Members and Connections” Presenter: Roger LaBoube, Ph.D., P.E., Wei-Wen Yu Center for Cold-Formed Steel Structures. The Steel Framing Hotline (1-800-79 STEEL) receives several inquiries on anomalies in the field condition of a member or connection. This session will address some of the more common questions and possible solutions.
• “Acoustical Testing of Cold-Formed Steel Frame Assemblies” Presenter: Steven Fox, Ph.D., P.Eng. Canadian Sheet Steel Building Institute. Coming soon to a building project near you – Apparent Sound Transmission Classification (ASTC) limits on assemblies. Fox will update participants on recent testing and results.
• “BIM and the Cold-Formed Steel Industry” Presenter: Dennis Fargent, P.E., S.E., ZFA Structural Engineers. An overview and demonstration of the latest in Building Information Modeling will be provided.
Tuesday, May 19, 2015
• “Clips, Connectors and Anchors” Presenters: Representatives from major manufacturers. This two-part series will provide an opportunity for engineers who designed the connectors to explain them, their best function and the meaning behind the fine print below the tables. The presentation is provided by a panel.
• “New Green Building Challenges – Meeting the Demand” Presenter: TBA. What is the cold-formed steel industry doing to meet the new requirements for Environmental Product Declarations, Product Transparency Declarations and Health Product Declarations? Find out with this session.
• “Cold-Formed Steel Design Forum” Moderator: Roger LaBoube, Ph.D., P.E., Wei-Wen Yu Center for Cold-Formed Steel Structures. The forum is an open discussion on several cold-formed steel design issues that are not fully addressed by codes, standards or industry guidance.
• “CFS Anchorage to Concrete in High-Wind Zones” Presenter: Jennifer Zabik, P.E., S.E., Zabik-Turner Engineering. This presentation will explain edge distance issues, break down the code reports, and help attendees find solutions.
• “Cold-Formed Steel Trusses and Blast Design” Presenter: Mark Weaver, P.E., S.E., Karagozian & Case, Inc. This session will provide an overview of several analytical methods that can be employed to compute CFS truss response under blast loading.
• “Specifying Open Web Composite Joists on CFS Wall Bearing Systems” Presenter: Ric Anderson, Vulcraft/Nucor (Ecospan). The benefits of composite steel joist systems, camber, fire and sound ratings, and other design considerations when specifying a floor system will be discussed.
The CFSEI Design and Distinguished Service Awards will be presented on Tuesday, May 18, 2015.
The 2015 CFSEI Expo is being sponsored by the following companies: Platinum Sponsorship – Aegis Metal Framing, ClarkDietrich Building Systems; Gold Sponsorship – Simpson Strong-Tie; Silver Sponsorship – Vulcraft/Nucor; Bronze Sponsorship – Argos Systems, StrucSoft Solutions. Sponsorship opportunities are still available.
For more information on the educational sessions, CFSEI awards or sponsorship opportunities, visit the CFSEI website at www.cfsei.org.
About The Cold-Formed Steel Engineers Institute
The Cold-Formed Steel Engineers Institute comprises hundreds of structural engineers and other design professionals who are finding a better way to produce safe and efficient designs for commercial and residential structures with cold-formed steel. CFSEI members work together to develop and evolve industry standards and design methods, produce and issue technical bulletins, and provide seminars and online training to improve the knowledge and skills base of engineers and design professionals. For more information, visit www.cfsei.org.