CFSEI Announces Program For 2018 Expo, May 15-16 In San Diego
Washington, DC - The Cold-Formed Steel Engineers Institute (CFSEI) has announced the program for the 2018 CFSEI Annual Expo, which will be held May 15-16 at the Wyndham San Diego Bayside Hotel in San Diego, California. This event is designed for architects, builders/contractors and engineers, with an educational program geared toward both skilled cold-formed steel (CFS) framing professionals as well as newcomers.
This year, the Expo includes a choice of two pre-conference tours: 1) University of California – San Diego Testing Lab, and 2) A cold-formed steel project in San Diego.
The Expo includes several Continuing Education Sessions available for PDHs and a trade show featuring the latest technologies in cold-formed steel framing. The technical sessions include:
• “Design and Detailing of Cold-Formed Steel Headers Curved in Plan” – T. Patrick Earney, P.E., S.E., McClure Engineering
• “Cold-Formed Steel Classroom” – Roger A. LaBoube, Ph.D., P.E., Wei-Wen Yu Center for Cold-Formed Steel Structures
• “Taking Building Information Modeling (BIM) to the Next Level – Can We Fabricate Cold-Formed Steel Panels Like They Build Cars?” – Rudy Trujillo and Kirsten Zeydel, S.E., Digital Building Components
• “BIM Forum” – Paul Dalia, P.E., Chairman, CFSEI BIM Committee and 5400 Engineering
• “Are Exterior Cold-Formed Steel Walls Adequately Addressing Building Movement?” – Kirsten Zeydel, S.E., Digital Building Components
• “A Structural Engineer’s Guide to Nonstructural EQ Studs” – Jeffrey Klaiman, P.E., ADTEK Engineers Inc.
• “Effective Communication Tips for Engineers” – Annie Kao, P.E., Simpson Strong-Tie Company Inc.
• “Connections of Cold-Formed Steel Trusses to a Building Structure” – Bill Babich, P.E., TrusSteel
• “Case Study: Metreau Apartments – Seven-Story Panelized Load-Bearing Construction” – Patrick Hainault, P.E., Matsen Ford Design Associates Inc.
• “Shear Wall Design” – Robert Madsen, P.E., Devco Engineering Inc.
• “Design Forum” – Moderators Roger A. LaBoube, Ph.D., P.E., Wei-Wen Yu Center for Cold-Formed Steel Structures; and Jennifer Zabik, P.E., S.E., Zabik-Turner Engineering
An update on “UCSD Six-Story Shake Table Test and New Cold-Formed Steel Testing” will be conducted by Tara Hutchinson of the University of California – San Diego. The CFSEI Awards Presentation will also take place, with winners announced in the Design Excellence and Innovative Details categories as well as the John P. Matsen Award for Distinguished Service.
Early registration and hotel room reservations are encouraged. For more information on registration, sponsorship opportunities and awards, visit www.cfsei.org.
About The Cold-Formed Steel Engineers Institute
The Cold-Formed Steel Engineers Institute comprises hundreds of structural engineers and other design professionals who are finding a better way to produce safe and efficient designs for commercial and residential structures with cold-formed steel. CFSEI members work together to develop and evolve industry standards and design methods, produce and issue technical bulletins, and provide seminars and online training to improve the knowledge and skills base of engineers and design professionals. For more information, visit www.cfsei.org.