Updated Metal Building Systems Manual Available From MBMA
Cleveland, OH - The Metal Building Manufacturers Association (MBMA) announces the release of the 2018 edition of the Metal Building Systems Manual. First published in 1959, this internationally recognized reference manual is a primary resource for
the metal building industry—including building owners, manufacturers, general contractors, erectors, engineers, architects, specifiers, inspectors and other building professionals.
“For 60 years, the Metal Building Systems Manual has been the go-to resource in the metal building industry,” noted Lee Shoemaker, Ph.D., PE, MBMA director of research and engineering. “With the revisions and changes to the 2018 edition
that bring it up-to-date with the latest codes, it will continue to be a must-have asset for those in our industry.”
The 2018 Metal Building Systems Manual aims to help industry professionals and others meet the metal building requirements of the 2018 International Building Code® (IBC®). It also spells out common industry practices relating
to the design, manufacture, sale and erection of metal building systems (including contract, order documents and engineer of record). What’s more, this comprehensive guide contains wind, snow, seismic and rainfall design data tabulated for every
U.S. county, based on the 2018 IBC, ASCE 7, USGS and NOAA data.
This latest edition is current with the 2018 IBC, ASCE 7-16 and the 2018 International Plumbing Code (IPC). A number of other important updates have been made to the manual, including but not limited to:
• Example problems and cases for wind and snow have been expanded and enhanced to highlight the changes in ASCE 7-16, “Minimum Design Loads and Associated Criteria for Buildings and Other Structures.”
• The chapter on serviceability has been streamlined and focuses on the factors that are important for metal buildings. It now includes a review of all of the ponding instability resources and code requirements.
• The Guide Specification section has been updated to reflect current information and references.
• With the widespread availability of online resources that specify county loads across the U.S., most county load information has been eliminated. Rainfall information for counties that is not available elsewhere is included.
• There is a new Appendix on Vehicular Access Doors that provides a summary of types of doors and considerations for designing the framed openings.
• Metal Roofing Details that are included in the MBMA publication, Metal Roofing Systems Design Manual, have been added in new Appendices.
The 2018 Metal Building Systems Manual is available in two formats: a print edition which can be sent via mail or a PDF edition that can be downloaded immediately. Either can be purchased at www.techstreet.com/mbma.
About The Metal Building Manufacturers Association
Founded in 1956, MBMA serves manufacturers and suppliers as it works to promote the metal building systems industry. Its membership supplies high-quality buildings for
use in commercial, retail, office, industrial, institutional and other end-uses. The association provides a wealth of information on its website for anyone who works with or is interested in metal building systems. It includes technical materials
and design guides. For more information, visit www.mbma.com.