Cold-Formed Steel Design Text Updated To Fifth Edition
Washington, DC - The American Iron and Steel Institute (AISI) and the Wei-Wen Yu Center for Cold-Formed Steel Structures (CCFSS) at the Missouri University of Science and Technology announce the publication of “Cold-Formed Steel Design - Fifth
Edition,” recognized by professionals around the world as the definitive text on cold-formed steel design. The book was updated by Wei-Wen Yu, Ph.D., P.E. and Roger A. LaBoube, Ph.D., P.E., from CCFSS and Helen Chen, Ph.D., P.E., from AISI.
It includes the most important developments in cold-formed steel design theory and practice.
The fifth edition provides readers with a better understanding of the analysis and design of the thin-walled, cold-formed steel structures that are being widely used in building construction. It includes descriptions of the construction and structural
behavior of cold-formed steel members and connections from both theoretical and experimental points of view. The new edition is an important reference for students, structural engineers, architects, researchers, construction managers and others interested
in cold-formed steel design and its sustainable and resilient benefits for mid-rise building construction.
Additional updates include:
• Design provisions in AISI S100-16, North American Specification for the Design of Cold-Formed Steel Structural Members, 2016 Edition,
• Design examples to conform with AISI S100-16,
• Explanation of the reasons and justification for the various design provisions of the North American Specification and framing design standards,
• Introduction of these framing design standards:
• AISI S220-15, North American Standard for Cold-Formed Steel Framing – Nonstructural Members, 2015 Edition
• AISI S230-19, North American Standard for Cold-Formed Steel Framing – Prescriptive Method for One- and Two-Family Dwellings, 2019 Edition
• AISI S240-15, North American Standard for Cold-Formed Steel Structural Framing, 2015 Edition
• AISI S400-15, North American Standard for Seismic Design of Cold-Formed Steel Structural Systems, 2015 Edition
• AISI S310-16, North American Standard for the Design of Profiled Steel Diaphragm Panels, 2016 Edition,
• Thorough coverage of Allowable Stress Design (ASD), Load and Resistance Factor Design (LRFD), Limit States Design (LSD), Effective Width Method (EWM) and Direct Strength Method (DSM),
• A new section on Power-Actuated Fastener (PAF) Connections, and
• Updated relevant research work.
The mission of the Center for Cold-Formed Steel Structures is to provide an integrated approach for handling research, teaching, engineering education, technical services, and professional activity. The Center brings together the technical resources of
interested parties such as university researchers, steel producers, product manufacturers, consultants, building officials, government agencies, and others with a common goal of continued improvement of cold-formed steel design and construction. To
learn more about CCFSS, visit http://ccfssonline.org/.
AISI’s codes and standards work is conducted under the Construction Market Council of AISI.
About The American Iron And Steel Institute
AISI serves as the voice of the North American steel industry in the public policy arena and advances the case for
steel in the marketplace as the preferred material of choice. AISI also plays a lead role in the development and application of new steels and steelmaking technology. AISI is comprised of integrated and electric furnace
steelmakers, and associate members who are suppliers to or customers of the steel industry. For more information, visit www.steel.org.