Drawing inspiration from both the building’s history and its context, architects Goldsmith, Borgal & Company of Toronto specified metal roofing and wall panels from VICWEST for an addition to the historic Station Gallery in Whitby, Ontario, Canada.
The old Whitby Station was constructed in 1901 and features Queen Anne ‘witches hat’ turrets. In the 1970s the old train station was moved to a new location and in the 1980s it was extensively renovated as part of its conversion for use as an art gallery. In 2004 the building was relocated once again, and subsequently expanded to meet the gallery’s long-term objectives.
The 10,000 sq. ft. addition is located to the west and south of the relocated station and features design and material references to platforms, canopies, railroad cars, industrial sheds and grass landscapes, among other things. While it might have been cheaper to butt the new construction up against the existing building, it was disconnected as a means of retaining the historic station as a building in the round.
Within the addition a new lobby is the hub of the gallery, with a reception desk positioned to supervise circulation to all areas. A glass link was slipped under the porte cochere, connecting the new elements to the old front door. Whereas the historic station’s interior was preserved, the new train shed provides additional gallery spaces, a reception area, classrooms and service spaces.
Cladding the exterior of the train shed addition are 90 squares of VICWEST’s Tradition 150-4 roofing and 5,000 sq. ft. of VICWEST 7/8” corrugated siding. Both profiles were formed from 24-gauge Galvalume-Plus steel. Galvalume Plus is unpainted Galvalume-coated steel with a clear acrylic topcoat. The roofing and siding panels were installed by Steelcase Construction of Scarborough, Ontario, Canada.