The $65.5 million Ithaca College Athletics and Events Center offers student-athletes an unparalleled athletic experience and provides the Ithaca College community with a modern, expansive space for events of all types. The 178,000-square-foot facility – featuring architectural metal products from CENTRIA - is one of the largest indoor venues in Tompkins County, and it represents the most ambitious construction project ever at the college.
The focal point of the Ithaca College Athletics and Events Center is a 130,000-square-foot field house that features the Glazer Arena, a track and field center that doubles as an indoor practice facility for a variety of athletic activities. With a capacity of 6,700, the arena serves as a venue for campus and community events as well. The building also contains a 47,000-square-foot aquatics pavilion that comprises an Olympic-size swimming pool and spectator seating for 1,000, as well as a Gallery of Champions, which serves as thoroughfare between the field house and aquatics pavilion and features a hall of fame display.
Like the student-athletes it serves, the Ithaca College Athletics & Events Center draws its life from natural “breathing”. Its signature design element, the tower, provides natural cooling and ventilation throughout the facility. The building was named the winner of an Innovative Architecture & Design Award in 2012 from Recreation Management magazine, and it is in rare company as one of only six LEED® Gold athletic facilities on a college campus in the country (at that time).
CENTRIA’s Formawall Dimension Series panels were selected for the Ithaca College Athletics and Events Center for their superior performance, sustainability and aesthetics.
Formawall Dimension Series insulated metal wall systems provide thermal efficiency and moisture control in a single panelized component. Dimension Series insulated metal panels include a factory foamed-in-place core, minimizing insulation gaps, along with a thermal break between the face and the liner. The panels offer superior weather resistance by utilizing pressure equalization along the length of the horizontal joinery.
The interlocking assembly and all-in-one fabrication features of the Formawall Dimension Series deliver single-source accountability on façade construction and minimize freight and materials requirements – supporting the project’s sustainability goals. The panels’ single-component construction also results in less jobsite waste, which makes it a more environmentally friendly option and helped to keep the project on schedule and on budget.
Formawall Dimension Series provided the designers of the Ithaca College Athletics and Events Center with a wide array of aesthetic options and contributed to the facility’s sleek, contemporary look. Additionally, CENTRIA’s IW Series Concealed Fastener Panels were chosen because they come in a variety of gauges, colors and finishes to match the corresponding Dimension Series panels and blend into walls, eliminating visual breaks. These products were an important part of the designers’ aesthetic vision for the project.
The architect for this project was Moody Nolan of Columbus, OH. The CENTRIA products dealer/installer was CFE Inc. of Elmira, NY. The contractor was The Pike Company of Rochester, NY.
CENTRIA products used on this project included:
• Formawall® Dimension Series® 2” Vertical - Square Feet: 6,021; Color: Champagne Gold; Finish: Smooth; Coating: Sundance™ AM; Gauge: 20/22
• Formawall Dimension Series 2” Vertical - Square Feet: 7,296; Color: Platinum; Finish: Smooth; Coating: Sundance Mica; Gauge: 20/22
• Formawall Dimension Series 2” Vertical - Square Feet: 9,364; Color: Silversmith; Finish: Smooth; Coating: Sundance Mica; Gauge: 20/22
• Formawall Dimension Series 3” Vertical - Square Feet: 2,822; Color: Silversmith; Finish: Smooth; Coating: Sundance Mica; Gauge: 20/26
• Formawall Dimension Series 3” Vertical - Square Feet: 2,901; Color: Platinum; Finish: Smooth; Coating: Sundance Mica; Gauge: 20/26
• Formawall Dimension Series 3” Vertical - Square Feet: 2,231; Color: Champagne Gold; Finish: Smooth; Coating: Sundance™ AM; Gauge: 20/26
• IW Series Concealed Fastener Panels IW-30 Horizontal - Square Feet: 24,908; Color: Silversmith; Finish: Smooth; Coating: Sundance Mica; Gauge 22