Boeing’s Interiors Responsibility Center in North Charleston, SC is the manufacturing site for 787 interior aircraft parts, including stowbins, closets, partitions, class dividers, overhead rests for flight-crews and flight attendants, video control stations and attendant modules. The 300,000 square foot facility includes state-of-the-art manufacturing equipment where employees use the latest Lean processes and tools to produce interior components to match 787 production rates at Boeing South Carolina. Architectural metal products from CENTRIA were used in the construction of the facility.
CENTRIA’s Formawall Dimension Series, Versawall and Profile Series Liner Panels were selected for their sustainability, performance and aesthetic benefits—all of which aligned with the creative goals of the design team.
The Versawall panels in white and gray provided long, uninterrupted sight lines for a smooth, contemporary exterior design. Since Versawall panels are lightweight, they are fast and easy to install and save on time and construction costs. Versawall also offers outstanding weather resistance due to double tongue-and-groove joinery and CFC-free foam insulation. Finally, the thermal break between the face and liner leads to energy efficient walls.
The Formawall Dimension Series panels provided the designers with a wide array of aesthetic options. This product added interesting aesthetic aspects by utilizing CENTRIA’s patented Advanced Thermal and Moisture Protection (ATMP®) technology. Formawall also provides advanced thermal efficiency and moisture control in a single panelized component. The mix of the white and gray colors added depth and dimension to the exterior of the plant.
The Profile Series Liner Panels were used to add a layer of insulation to the building that minimizes heat loss or gain, resulting in higher R-values. The liner panels also provide tested sound and fire protection.
The project architect was BRPH of Melbourne, FL. The general contractor was Patillo Construction of Stone Mountain, GA. The CENTRIA products dealer/installer was Steel Clad of Greenville, SC.
CENTRIA products used on this project included:
• Versawall® Vertical - Square Feet: 62,997; Color: Regal White; Finish: Embossed; Coating: Versacor®; Gauge: 22
• Versawall® Vertical - Square Feet: 3,090; Color: Dove Gray; Finish: Embossed; Coating: Versacor; Gauge: 22
• Profile Series L-2 Liner Panels - Square Feet: 51,872; Color: Arctic Ice; Finish: Smooth; Coating: Fluorofinish®; Gauge: 22
• Formawall® Dimension Series® 3” Horizontal - Square Feet: 3,008; Color: Regal White; Finish: Embossed; Coating: Versacor; Gauge: 22
• Formawall Dimension Series 3”-T Vertical - Square Feet: 2,759; Color: Regal White; Finish: Embossed; Coating: Versacor; Gauge: 22
• Formawall Dimension Series DS60 3”-T Horizontal - Square Feet: 3,948; Color: Dove Gray; Finish: Embossed; Coating: Versacor
LEED and the related logo is a trademark owned by the U.S. Green Building Council and is used with permission.