Four ice rinks are key components of the 179,550 square foot INVISTA Centre in Kingston, Ontario, Canada. The facility features a variety of metal construction products from American Buildings Company, based in Eufaula, Alabama.
Completed in May 2008, this project used tapered column, rigid frame metal building framing by American Buildings, along with the company’s Standing Seam 360 roofing system and Architectural III wall panels. The galvanized steel panels feature American Buildings’ SmartKote finish, featuring 70% PVDF resin supplied as Kynar 500 or Hylar 500, manufactured by BASF (division is now part of PPG Industries).
The INVISTA Centre showcases a contemporary, welcoming, functional and maintainable state-of-the-art design for the 4 ice rink recreation facility. The welcoming and engaging facility is barrier free accessible and will be enjoyed by all ages.
The design incorporates traditional materials such as wood and Kingston Limestone with technically advanced building components such as insulated metal panels and heat mirror glass. The design is based on an open, transparent concept to enhance both user and visitor experience.
Highlights of the INVISTA Centre project include:
• Curved standing seam rink roof areas with Energy Star surface coating by American Buildings Company, R-28 insulation and vapor retarder, galvanized roof purlins and low E ceiling.
• LEED® points total of 41 (submitted for LEED® Gold).
• Reinforced concrete structure for upper lobby and fitness room (vibration and noise isolation).
• Use of “as found” and quarried Kingston Limestone in building elevations, interior treatment and fireplace.
• Heat mirror energy-efficient glass.
• Extensive exterior and interior glazing.
• Cantilevered upper viewing/multi-purpose rooms between ice pads 1 and 4.
• Sport group office space between ice pads 3 and 4.
• Mini hockey arena (in upper lobby).
• Student study area.
• Indoor bicycle storage room.
• In floor radiant heating in dressing rooms.
• Heat recovery from all general exhaust streams.
• Extensive use of waste heat from refrigeration plant.
• Use of stored rain water to flush toilets.
• Cimco Refrigeration’s energy efficient ECO-Chill System.
• Experienced LEED® consultants with certified building success.
The general contractor and metal building erector for the INVISTA Centre was PEAK Engineering of Brighton, Ontario, Canada. The designer was Barry - Bryan Associates (1991) Limited of Whitby, Ontario, Canada.